Wednesday, November 11, 2015

It Don't Rain In Phoenix

Rains again like every day the day before
10 different ways
streets as slick as glass
and the green light glows
dusk gives up the ghost for now
my bones stay cold and I'm feeling how
the desert sun is calling out my name

I tell them where I met you
underneath the Coal Creek Bridge
they look  at me with sympathy
when you whisper
the way you enunciate
polyvinyl acetate
makes me think you are more agile than you appear


operatic in her grandeur,
plumpuscular, muscular, absolutely glistening
 with slime
 one misty Sunday morning,
 coal creek running after rain
 I saw the biggest, blackest, coldest, slickest, slowest, slug there ever was

she said hello
clap clap
She said I’m Black
clap clap
I’m sure you never ever met a gal like me
clap clap
I take my time
clap clap
don’t cost a dime
clap clap
I am divine
clap clap
I’ll make a squeamish weeping willow sapling scream

She eased me down from off the ledge
didn’t need as much whiskey to get right in the head,
 she sorted out my day with something good
then one night the phone call came, she could tell when I walked way
leaving her to fret alone in our tiny livingroom

broke it to her like poetry,
the dusk gives up the ghost for now
my bones stay cold and I’m feeling how
that Greyhound bus is calling out my name

she said, but it don’t rain in Phoenix
and when you get to sweating it burns a like hell
we’ve had a good time baby
didn’t expect I’d ever have this much to tell

It don’t rain in Phoenix
I might melt in the sun
there ain’t no slugs in the canyon
there ain’t no “us” on the run.

so I put her on my shoulder,
hiked back up to Coal Creek Bridge
lifted up a rotten log set her down
in the patchy fog, slime trails
starlight bouncing off bubble frogs
balls strung so tight I couldn’t see no way around it

hitch up my grocery sack
cans and clothes and a folded map
grab me  a seat all the way in the back,
diesel fumes make me hungry for some eggs
I wonder about my hermaphrodite,
she made me feel half way allright,
scorpions can’t do it near as like she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment