Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Weed is Illegal in Texas

Today is Wednesday, March 18th, 2020. 
Harlingen, Texas is a southern city 
near the border of Mexico. 
I can’t describe it 
because I don’t love it.
a late life step parent 
I don’t see it  
because I've not let it settle, 
so I get lost.  I don’t know how the roads intersect.
but it matters where you live
you see
what you allow yourself to see. 


the handshake is impossible to turn down. 
he opened himself up for a hug. 
my wife hugged him. 
but he won’t sit down
We both said thank you, bowing, 
hands clasped in prayer. 
Thank you once more 
plus one fifty.
bowing like he’s
my shallow comprehension of 
the Dalai lama
deep, soulful eyes.
lips do
part just enough 
to guess that 
at rest, 
he is fully empty of thought

No comments:

Post a Comment