Thursday, March 11, 2021

confession of a shitty kid

I used to wish Ben Miracle was my dad.

He looked like a JC Penney ad, with a woman who died

and left him my friend Justin as a backstory.

he wouldn’t look at you but when he did

after a couple of beers (because we were young

he’d rather have

us drink with him)

when he did look you in the eye, you felt discovered

because he could barely believe that

a couple of middle school burnouts

was all he had to talk to

 

coming off the road to wash up

scrub down

and fuck off again,

my dad hogged the

wild flowers on our pink couch

and drilled me to catch him up

on General Hospital

 

at the perfume counter I told her it was a mix of old spice

cigarettes, sweat and cut grass,

hint of yeast,

twist off spritz from a freshly cracked Blatz,

a puff of gasoline and

catfish bait

that i was looking for

 

Larry got to know the neighborhood so good

before he was shot blind.

if ya’ll were drunk

you’d slide over and let him drive.

at a stop sign you'd tell him left,

but watch out for this one crossing the street, Larry,

you wouldn’t believe it. They don't look the same

as when you could see

 

you left your extra teeth in a glass on the sink.

Just for Men,

Alberto Vo5 hair oil. that’s one

area where you

spoiled yourself.

 

brother randy slipped me a bill

at the bus station in exchange for a

mercifully short conversation

about my drinking.

my last hundred

you took from me.

Ok, you won.

with a shit hand.

which I described to your little sister when

the lights burnt out

in her chandelier.

she sent me home with a box of Little Debbie's

and tried to pay me for the bulbs.

the sadness is a permanent fixture.

Aside the constant pain 

that 

is the thing she notices

most about getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment