Friday, March 5, 2021

I miss you Betty Sue

on the state route connecting

the shitty little towns

where all my loved ones live

I pump and pump the pedals of my baby blue

10 speed

towards the light

at the top of the hill

 

by day

I’m the only lefty on the team,

fat with good arms

so coach Larry puts me in for the king,

Mark Bing, who meets me after practice

dragging monkeys,

one of whom has a harelip and the last name, Yunk.

this is not an abdication

or a coronation but a declaration

of my fate should

I pretend to the mound

 

at night

I wear black to distract the eyes of the law

and old men

under porch lights

begging to be vandalized

as I work that bike uphill

 

behold! on my ass

the halogen lights

of a diesel downshifting,

grinding in for a kiss

i hold out my hand (as I am spoken for)

and go tumbling down a ravine

dotted

with bush hogged saplings.

one of which goes through my knee.

the only thing

I could think 

before the knee dawned on me

was,

mom’s gonna fucking kill me

for riding after dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment