Saturday, August 31, 2013

Ol' Whatzername

Got a phone call from the captain says my ship is comin' in
but the phone is in the bathtub and the bathtub’s full of gin

livin on saltines,
sardines and day old
bacon grease
bet my bottom dollar on a
johnny walker neat
never took no pictures cause we never went nowhere
breathing in her pillow cause it smells like her hair

one-two split-tooth
smile like a clown
toe nails glowing red on the gas pedal
cranked on crank,
AC blow dry curls still adrip from the shower
eternal straight stretch whispers 95, 97, 110

she could stop traffic that girl

scene cleaners
pressure wash
bits of my dear
down drain, downstream
among catfish and eel.
raw deal
bum squeal
net worth
zilch.
final words was some shit about the bills

mama makin ground smashin muscle into bone
pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake
she ain't ever comin home

She taught me to sing
Sweet as hell. tongue
pokin' out when she did up her hair.

Looked at me
like the looks
I've seen  people
with headphones
alone with what's in their head

(and her eyes were the deepest...)
morning and night
I call her name
I test her name.
embarrassed as hell
to inflect
the end of her name.

And then one day
you’ll never believe
I couldn’t tell a thing.
The curve of her neck?
Which side the tattoo?

(and her eyes were the deepest...)
Her eyes so green.
Her eyes were brown or blue?

No comments:

Post a Comment